Thursday 19 April 2018

Songs For Summer. Part 2

Well we were lucky enough to get a second day of sun, so I’m gonna keep writing about songs that are on my summer playlist. Thanks for the replies yesterday, they jogged my memory for some of these entries below. Enjoy.

7. MGMT - Kids
This track is 11 years old now! Doesn’t feel like 5 minutes ago this song was everywhere. The debut single from the debut album of this American Indietronica powerhouse is dripping with atmosphere. The driving synth creates an upbeat atmosphere from the outset, putting an instant smile on my face. Memories of blasting this on trips to West Bay and Weymouth with a car full of friends come flooding back, reminding me that this summer HAS to be full of these sorts of days.

8. Fall Out Boy - Young Volcanoes
No particular memories attached to this one, it’s just a great track all about not wasting your life, you’re only young once and there’s a long time to settle down and be boring. From the up-tempo sing-song intro into the first verse about going out and making the most of a night out, the song drips positivity, which is very rare from these Kings of Misery. The chorus builds with a gang-vocal harmony of “We are wild, we are like young volcanoes”, creating a fun vibe, taking thoughts of work and love and stressful nonsense right out of your head.

9. Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly - Call Me Ishmael
Sam’s ode to touring and the life that comes with it is a jaunty little acoustic number with tons of soul. Takes me back to being about 20, spending my days selling Gas and spending my evenings travelling all over the country for Gigs. The temptation was to feel burnt out and give it all up, but my young body could cope without the sleep and sitting at 2am on a beach or in a park after a show, skinning up and sharing with the bands, singing along to old songs and smiling my head off made it all worth it. The song builds from a quiet acoustic song to a bombastic drum-led singalong about sticking to your dreams, living your life and having fun feeling alive. This always makes its way onto my playlist when I need reminding to enjoy the little things.

10. Counting Crows - Hanginaround
This funky Americana anthem is so positive, uptempo and replayable. I’ve been guilty of having this on repeat for 30 minutes at a time before now when I’ve needed a boost. A song about getting up and getting out of a shit town, it reminds me to venture out, see new things, meet new people. The summer is the perfect time to adventure, and this song always gives me wanderlust and the need to go out and experience the world.

11. Montell Jordan - This Is How We Do It
Self explanitory. From end to end positive vibes. Get your mates together and party all night. Not really much more I can say except “I’M KINDA BUZZED AND ITS ALL BECAUSE...” Just listening to it again for this list has got the blood flowing!

12. Motion City Soundtrack - The Future Freaks Me Out
“I’m on fire and now I think I’m ready to bust a move, checkitout I’m rocking steady..” that intro could bring sunshine in January. A fast paced pop punk song about not fully understanding the things that are popular and finding someone who enjoys the same things as you. This band’s whole catalogue could have made this list, beautiful summery tunes which never fail to lift the mood. “What’s up with Will and Grace? I don’t get Drum and Bass, the future freaks me out.” Indeed.

As long as this weather keeps up I’m going to keep this list going, as always, the comments is where you can make suggestions, keep them coming. Thx, Craig.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Turn around where possible.

My heart complicates the situation, It takes the fourth exit on the roundabout into the half finished construction site, As it wants to ...