Tuesday 10 April 2018

Music For Healing Part 2

Earlier today I started to run down the songs I go to when I need a boost of positivity or happiness. It must be said a lot of these won’t be ‘calm’ songs for mental health, more like the types of songs I go to when I need a boost of seratonin or to get me moving. Here’s numbers 6 through 10 of my positivity playlist.

6. Dave Hause - C’mon Kid
When people talk about music having a positive effect on them, this is the song that did for me. Dave Hause’s (formerly of punk outfit The Loved Ones) first solo full length is full of incredibly crafted songs in Dave’s Indie/Americana style. I first heard this song around 2012 after a pretty heavy breakup (cliche as fuck, buddy) and its chorus is almost an instructional tape for getting over it. So much so I’m quoting it right here:

“C’mon kid, c’mon, one foot then the other,
Everybody needs a hand sometimes, everybody needs a brother,
C’mon kid, c’mon, I’m reaching out to you.
Get out of bed kid, face the world,
and show us what you can do.”

The verses are full of tales of adversity and overcoming it. Both the full band and the acoustic versions of the song are equally stunning. An overwhelmingly powerful and positive song. Check it out if you’ve never heard it, pure gold.

7. The Rocket Summer - Brat Pack
This one is kind of one of those “you had to be there” tunes, specifically in late 2006 and even more specifically at shows in Yeovil. The tune is all about spending time with your friends and being young, free and excited about life. I had a bit of an obsession with Bryce from TRS at that time and I used to make a special effort to play as many Rocket Summer songs between the bands as I could. I’d always try to leave Brat Pack til the changeover before the headliner. The feeling of dancing and singing and drinking with a room full of 150 of your mates every week was incredible. Every time I hear the song it puts a great big smile across my face to a time when, for a brief amount of time, we had it all.

8. Passion Pit - Sleepyhead
The opening minute to this indietronica song is just incredible, so many layers over the top of a pounding bass line, it just gets everything firing in my brain. When I feel manic and fidgety I always whack this on in my headphones, all the different sounds and samples give me the right amount of stimulation in my  head to push out any negative thoughts. Michael’s vocal is a bit high pitched for everybody’s tastes but I personally love it. The E.P that this is on came out when I was doing a little bit too much of everything too so listening to it gives me a bit of a reminder not to go down those routes again.

9. Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack
That opening just gets you pumped. Another one on the list that is just pure catharsis, if I did any exercise at all I’d run to this. Listen alone somewhere you can play loud, shout and get all that fucking anger out! The obvious choice here would be Killing In The Name, but in fairness any RATM song would work in this slot. Heavy, angry, and bombastic.

10.  Frank Turner - Dan’s Song
I’ve always had some pretty deep rooted issues about the idea of growing older, trying to stay on life’s schedule and the consequences of missing out on key events like marriage, kids etc. This song is just the antithesis of those fears, its just about going out, grabbing your friends, a guitar, some beer and going down the park when you’re far too old to be drinking in the park. Forget all the nonsense, strip it back to basics and just go out and live. There’s nothing to gain by worrying about where you are on the path. Fuck, I can barely look after myself let alone kids right now! This lovely little acoustic singalong number serves as a reminder to enjoy the little things.


That’s me up to 10! I’m hoping to come back to this series later on, so some feedback on what you think about it would be appreciated. I’m not really sure what level of personal experience vs music analysis you guys are really after, so just let me know what you think! Any songs you always go to for a pick me up? P.S Don’t choose Hey Ya! because I’ve got a special one shot about that about 75% written but it was too long for here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Turn around where possible.

My heart complicates the situation, It takes the fourth exit on the roundabout into the half finished construction site, As it wants to ...