Tuesday 10 April 2018

Music For Healing.

As some of you may know I have struggled with mental health issues for most of my adult life, depression (or the Black Dog as I call it) comes and goes in waves and over time I’ve come to lean on music as a resource for lifting my mood and seeing the good in life. In this short piece I’ll be breaking down some of my favourite happy songs and the way they can be used as resources for various situations.

1. Yeasayer - Ambling Alp.
This one is number one on the list for a reason. Whenever I have an episode or a severe visit from the black dog this song is never far away. Sitting quietly and digesting this song and its positive message is my number one resource in my armoury when I need it. The song itself is named after an Italian professional boxer from the early 30s. Despite being severely diabetic and a clear foot taller than most of his counterparts (hence the Ambling Alp nickname)he became one of the most successful European boxers of the century. The lyrical content is about looking after yourself first, not being afraid to break and rebuild, and overall just to keep fighting. The chorus refrain of “Look after yourself, son. Never mind what anybody else done” is a mantra that when repeated in your head long after the song finishes is very healing.

2. New End Original - Better Than This
Another long standing favourite of mine, this stripped back hymn to the anxious has one of the most positive messages ever found on a song. The paradoxes presented in the verses (peaceful people / violent guns, sober drivers / drunken cars) succinctly cover the jumbled thought patterns experienced in a manic episode. The chorus breaks into a repeated assertation of ‘I’m better than this’ which falls back into self doubt of ‘I’m better than nothing’ before the end of the song ascends slowly ascends to Jonah reassuring himself over and over that he’s ‘better than nothing and nothing is better than this’. Keep your head high and scream it out to the world. No one can hurt you now.

3. Head Automatica - Beating Hearts Baby
This electro disco banger was a staple of my DJ sets at shows in Yeovil through the years and always had the whole place in raptures. It’s just upbeat all the way through and has me singing and dancing along every time I hear it even all these years later. The band days were the happiest days of my life and having this song close by always helps me associate to the better times and serves as a reminder that it gets better.

4. Vintage Trouble - Total Strangers
A song about two people in a loveless relationship reinvigorating their dying love with a one night only anything goes sex session where they act like they’ve only just met for the first time (like Total Strangers). From the very outset the song is high energy, high intensity and up front sleazy ‘Dig in with your fingers, scratch tracks down my back like a Bobcat’. The carefree and liberated nature of the song is the perfect tonic for when the Dog would like to remind me and judge me on past transgressions. There’s also a pretty strong message about fighting for something to work once the rot sets in.

5. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - I Won’t Back Down
The most obvious one on the list. If you’ve ever heard the track you’ll know why I’ve included it. This is the absolute definitive anthem for dusting yourself and getting on with it. The chorus is just perfect and although the song is short and not lyrically complex the message is incredible. I’ll keep this world from dragging me down, gonna stand my ground. Indeed. Try this one when you’ve had a bad day and you’re in a space where you can shout and sing along, very cathartic.


Obviously it goes without saying that mental health issues are very serious and just listening to a song isn’t going to work for everyone all the time. I’d suggest putting 10 of your happiest songs on a playlist and keeping it on your device for if you suddenly become ill. If you are struggling, try to reach out to someone, visit your GP and get yourself somewhere safe. Wake up, you’re alive, we’re on your side. Try Mind, C.A.L.M and The Samaritans for useful resources and I’ll see you back here for songs 6-10 of my positivity playlist. Thanks for the read.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Turn around where possible.

My heart complicates the situation, It takes the fourth exit on the roundabout into the half finished construction site, As it wants to ...