Wednesday 18 April 2018

Songs For Summer

A Sun Came! The summer is always a really healthy time for me, the extra Vitamin D helps to produce positive brainwaves. It’s also the best time of the year for music, festivals, bbqs on the beach etc are all about the music. I’ve got a good range of music set aside in playlists for the summer. This short article details the songs that make my summers, plus a few new ones that are going into rotation for this year. Enjoy the sun folks.

1. The Kooks - Seaside
So many good memories from this one. I remember sitting on a beach with an ex smoking and drinking with this on in the background. The waves were at our feet and the sun bronzed us, with a few beers and smokes, pure bliss. The song is lazy and chilled and a great intro into a perfect summer album. Whenever I was stuck in the record shop on a sunny Sunday this album always used to go on. Great memories.

2. Bedouin Soundclash - When The Night Feels My Song.
My essential summer song, all upstrokes and happy melodies. A great ska/indie tune with the perfect chorus for the sunshine “hey beautiful day”, a great singalong song with a guitar and a barbeque. This song instantly lifts my mood and is a great resource for dragging me out of the melancholy and out into the sunlight. The least traditional ‘Ska’ song on the album, the whole record is ace for those unexpected summer parties. Spin it up and smile.

3. Portugal The Man - Live In The Moment
A new addition to my summer playlist, this sleeper hit from late 2017 has a great pounding drumbeat and a funky rhythm perfect for when the sun finally comes out. The lyric is positive and tells of forgetting what has gone before and living in the moment. The soundtrack for last minute beach trips or drunken times in a field with all your friends.

4. The Rocket Summer - Colors
Bryce has a real knack for turning negative songs in to dancy clap-along anthems, but this one is a far more positive song from start to finish. The guitar and drum lines are upbeat, jangly and always bring a smile to my face. A song about making everything work in times of extreme adversity, the song reminds me of a romance rekindled for one summer only, a great memory for me and always on my stereo once the sun peeks through.

5. Passion Pit - Little Secrets
Upbeat electro indie with a pounding backbeat, takes me right back to a constantly-wasted summer when I was in my early 20s, free parties every weekend, electro nights at Orange Box, sleeping in cars or fields or anywhere I dropped down. Despite having really positive memories attached to it, it also reminds me not to overdo it, I’m not as young as I used to be! So good.

6. Kids In Glass Houses - Saturday
The worst thing about British Summertime is that it only seems to come during the week! A song about living for the weekend, I remember having this album on heavy rotation while driving my friends around over a long hot summer in 2010/11. We all worked full time and waited for the weekends to go out and have shenanigans. I wish I could go back to this summer, the time of my life.

As the weather is going to stay until tomorrow I’m going to carry this list on. Get at me in the comments with your essential summer songs. Until then, thx for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I always love Everything's Magic and the adventure by Angels & airwaves. Got my own memories for them but always remind me parties and get togethers around Ninesprings

    ReplyDelete

Turn around where possible.

My heart complicates the situation, It takes the fourth exit on the roundabout into the half finished construction site, As it wants to ...